Skip to content
Skip to main navigation
Report an accessibility issue
This “gateway” course is an introduction to college majors and minors. The course is titled Communication in an Information Age. The course is designed to meet the following objectives:
- Develop a basic understanding of mediated and non-mediated communication.
- Learn how communication and information industries are funded.
- Understand the historical developments in key communication and information industries.
- Gain awareness of the interactive relationships between communication and information systems and the social, political, legal, and economic forces surrounding them.
- Identify ways in which digital technologies are transforming communication and information systems and processes.
- Become a more enlightened consumer of mediated and non-mediated messages.
- Gain an understanding of professional options open to those who earn majors and minors offered through the University of Tennessee College of Communication and Information.