Poston Pays It Forward for UT Advertising Students

McWhirter, Jellicorse, PostonEach spring, when Advertising students are awarded the Carol Poston Scholarship they gain something much more valuable than a scholarship. They gain a lifelong mentor.

CCI BOV member Carol Poston (AD ’81) is committed to paying forward all of the support and professional development she gained while at UT. Carol is the Senior Manager of Strategic Marketing Services at LifePoint Health in Brentwood, Tennessee.

“I had a great experience in the Department of Advertising, and I am proud to help anyone who is graduating from UT,” said Poston.

Carol’s support for Advertising students has included reviewing resumes, advice on finding jobs, and networking to help students find internships. “Each year it seems harder and harder for grads to find their first job in the advertising industry. Agencies have placed the entire application process online, but it is the human connection that matters.”  Carol provides that much needed human connection.

Pictured: McWhirter, Robert Jellicorse (BS/AD ’15) (another recipient of the Poston’s scholarship), and Carol Poston.

Lauren Gregg McWhirter (AD ‘14) was the first recipient of the Poston Scholarship in 2013 and has benefitted from Carol’s mentoring. “I met Carol at the scholarship donor appreciation event at UT, and we’ve stayed in touch ever since, as we both have careers in Nashville. Our Big Orange bond and advertising backgrounds are the perfect ingredients for a lifelong friendship.”

“Carol has been a great resource for me. Her experience and connections in the Nashville market helped me learn the landscape of the region as I searched for my first job after graduation. You’d be surprised at how small of a world it is. After accepting my first job, I found out that my supervisor was a colleague of Carol’s in a previous life at a Nashville agency! All three of us were Vols for life, of course,” said McWhirter who was recently promoted to Director of Investor Relations with the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce.

Carol Poston scholarships have also helped Advertising graduates who move to New York City. Millie Tunnel (AD ’16) noted that “because of the very generous gift from Carol, I was able to graduate debt free from the University of Tennessee’s Advertising program, and I have been able to pursue my dream of living and working as a Strategist in New York City at Young and Rubicam (Y&R).”

”The School of Advertising and Public Relations and the College of Communication and Information greatly appreciate Carol Poston’s support of our students and faculty,” said CCI Dean Mike Wirth. “Carol’s ongoing generosity creates experiences that change our students’ lives for which we are very grateful.”