Fully-intergrated Internships at Moxley Carmichael

Destinee DowdyAlan Carmichael

Moxley Carmichael, a cornerstone communications firm in East Tennessee for 25 years, provides valuable work experience to students through the company’s paid internship program.
Since 1992, more than 140 interns have passed through Moxley Carmichael’s doors in downtown Knoxville, 80 of whom have been University of Tennessee students. Six interns have subsequently been hired as full-time employees.
The Moxley Carmichael internship program is a fully-integrated, hands-on learning experience that equips students with the knowledge and resources needed to put them a step ahead of the pack after graduation.
“Our internship program allows students to participate in multiple disciplines in the communications industry,” said Moxley Carmichael President and Chief Operating Officer and CCI BOV member Alan Carmichael (BS/JEM ’69).  “Our staff takes on everything from writing news releases and strategic plans to designing custom websites and producing digital content, and our interns see how each aspect works together to achieve successful outcomes for our clients.”
Interns become part of the Moxley Carmichael team the first day they arrive. By participating in staff meetings, brainstorming sessions, professional development activities and community events, interns gain much more than standard entry for work experience on a resume. They learn how to manage time, communicate with team members and become well-rounded young professionals in all aspects of public relations.
“During my eight-month internship at Moxley Carmichael, I looked for every opportunity to learn from the team, participate in projects and expand my overall knowledge of the industry,” said Destinee Dowdy (BS/PR ’16), now a full-time public relations specialist for Moxley Carmichael. “My internship taught me many valuable lessons and kick-started my career in public relations. I encourage every student to take advantage of internship opportunities because you never know where they will lead.”