DSLS Students Experience Chicago

DSLS Chicago 2017Ten Diversity Student Leaders Society (DSLS) members traveled by van to Chicago, for the annual spring semester field trip, March 22-26.

During their time in the “windy city,” DSLS students participated in six sessions on Thursday and Friday, including two with emeritus members of CCI’s Board of Visitors. These sessions provided students with invaluable professional development and networking opportunities. Sessions included: 

Chicago Tribune/News Meeting                                   

Peter Kendall, managing editor

Mark Jacob, metro editor

Mary Ellen Podmolik, business editor

Margaret Holt, standards editor

Andy Knott (BS/JEM ’79/emeritus CCI BOV member), portfolio manager, Wintrust Wealth Management [former Chicago Tribune reporter]                                             

Leading Real Estate Companies of the World (LRECW)

Pamela O’Connor, president/CEO (BS/Com ’72/emeritus CCI BOV member) and four LRECW staff members

Rosy Events [Specializes in producing events for corporate, social, and municipal clients]

Rose DiPietro, owner & executive producer

WBBM-TV – CBS 2

Dorothy Tucker, news reporter/consumer reporter                                                                         

Flowers Communications Group (FCG)

Michelle Flowers Welch, FCG founder & CEO                                                                                        

WGN Radio – 720 AM

Jackie Paulus, director of marketing & digital innovation

On Saturday, the students explored Chicago taking advantage of the many cultural and entertainment options available.

DSLS member Josh Melendez, said, “It opened my eyes to the many options I have available for internships and employment in the future. Chicago was not what I expected. I was pleasantly surprised by all the city had to offer. I have a much better idea of what I need to do to secure quality internships in the future and I greatly appreciate having that opportunity. One of the best parts of the trip was getting to know my fellow students and branching out from my current circle of friends.”

“Josh and the other DSLS students were able to have this experience, in part, because of the generosity of our CCI Experience Diversity Banquet sponsors,” said DSLS Director Alice Wirth. “Expanding students’ view of the world and exposing them to the many professional possibilities available to them will pay significant dividends in the future.”