News21 Fellow Gilmore Reflects on “Voting Wars”

Taylor GilmoreJEM senior Taylor Gilmore returned to campus this Fall after spending her summer as a News21 fellow alongside top journalism students from across the country.  The 2016 News21 program at Arizona State University focused on a project called “Voting Wars.” The group of journalism students investigated voter access and participation in the United States.

Gilmore produced two video projects as part of the 2016 News21 investigative journalism program. The topic of one of her videos was the industrial decline in the Appalachian region impacting the way locals are voting in the 2016 election. The other was a video recorded in Durham, North Carolina. It covers how the “monster law” is affecting many residents there. The recently launched report, https://votingwars.news21.com/, also featured Gilmore’s work on the social media team where she ran the project’s Instagram account.

“News21 was definitely the most challenging thing I’ve ever done, but in the best way possible,” said Gilmore. “It taught me to think outside of the traditional broadcast way of doing things and to push myself farther than I thought I could ever do in terms of producing what I deem as my best work yet. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity that I was given, and am so thankful to the donors and faculty that made it possible. News21 gave me a once in a lifetime opportunity to work with and befriend so many incredibly talented journalists from all over the nation.”

Gilmore’s participation was made possible by a generous gift from CCI Board of Visitors (BOV) Vice Chair John Williams (BS/JEM ‘71) and his wife, Patty (SIS endorsement ‘86), of Kingsport, Tennessee.   News21 Video Interview

News21 2016 Group