UT Football Coach Butch Jones, the third most-followed college football coach on Twitter with 179,000 followers, was the keynote speaker at UT Social Media Week 2015 (UTSMW). Coach Jones’ firsthand knowledge and expertise regarding the power of social media and how it can be used constructively to build a brand made him the perfect person to put the icing on a very successful week!
UTSMW was once again led by AdvPR Associate Professor Courtney Childers. She organized a team of student ambassadors (including: Steven Woods, Catherine Willis, Hannah McCulley, Rachel Bain, Leah Harrington, Lindsey Peterson, Hannah Carroll, Taylor Mullins, Kristin Knight, Alex Wade, Basha Coleman, Cheyenne Perry, Joey Hathaway, Tiffany Mangione, and Will Jellicorse) to assist with the coordination of the ten sessions. Several other faculty and staff members also helped.
The social media and traditional media coverage, and the impact of the week on students were as follows.
- TweetReach.com reported that on Twitter alone, the special event hashtag of #utsmw15 reached 470,365 accounts and generated 2,871,338 impressions. There were 911 tweets that featured #utsmw15 from March 30 – April 5, 2015.
- Seven classes served as official “anchor classes” for the week. Students from 16 different CCI classes attended at least one session. Students and faculty members attended from 10 UT colleges and offices outside of CCI.
- 19 social media experts participated as speakers or panelists; six were UT alums and six participants came to Knoxville from across the U.S. (from Los Angeles, Austin, TX, New York City, Washington, D.C., Atlanta and Missouri).
- Total in-person attendance across the Week’s events equaled 624.
- Sessions were streamed live and are archived via the UTSMW YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3ye4oyG-BS6U2Y0rcUgFkA.
“Thanks go out to CCI alumnus Ed Patterson (BS/Communications ’89) whose generous funding made UTSMW 2015 possible,” said Childers. “In addition, we are grateful to our sponsors Dead End BBQ, Coca Cola, and WATE-TV!”
“Thanks to the great work of Courtney Childers and her team, our students received a wealth of practical social media knowledge they can use immediately to develop their personal brands,” said CCI Dean Mike Wirth. “The leading edge social media expertise with which UTSMW provided our students will also pay great dividends as our students transition from the classroom into professional careers.”
MEDIA COVERAGE FOR CCI AND UTSMW
- UTSMW was a featured story each night between March 30 and April 2, 2015 on WATE News (6 pm and 11 pm broadcasts)
- Coverage about and promotion for UTSMW was also provided via WUTK-FM.
- The Knoxville News Sentinel published stories on “The Power of Social Media in Collegiate Recruiting” session and on the keynote speech by Coach Butch Jones, and TNJN.com published a story on the “Do What You Love” session (see below).
To view the complete list of UT SMW 2015 sessions, view the program at – http://www.utsmw.com.