Three CCI Faculty Members Benefit from UT Summer Grant Writing Institute

Normal
0

false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:””;
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:”Calibri”,”sans-serif”;
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

HoyPotnisWhitesideAdvPR Professor Mariea Hoy, SIS Assistant Professor Devendra Potnis and JEM Assistant Professor Erin Whiteside, joined 9 faculty colleagues from across campus in the UT Office of Research and Engagement’s 2014 Summer Grant Writing Institute.

Hoy said of her experience, “As a full professor who is going into her 26th year at UT, I was by far the most “senior” faculty member attending the institute.  I learned a great deal from my junior STEM discipline colleagues who are already well on their way with respect to grant writing experience. Their “war stories” were invaluable. I found that the grant writing process and selling yourself and your ideas were very similar to what I teach and coach in the Advertising Campaigns class.  I also learned that it is important to provide yourself with a solid foundation of your own published work as the basis for a grant proposal.  And I really came to appreciate CICS Grant Writer Beth Meko’s insight and assistance in looking for grant opportunities.”

Potnis said “GWI was a unique experience for me. Since 2011, I wanted to apply for research grants but somehow could not. The Institute pushed me to put down some of my ideas on paper. The experienced staff at the Institute equipped me with the right tools and techniques to systematically approach the grant-writing process. Lectures given by guest speakers, in-class exercises, class material, and valuable feedback from the Institute staff and my Institute mentor helped me to better interpret calls for grant proposals, strategically communicate my ideas with program officers and grant-proposal evaluators, and learn more about the dynamics of evaluating grant proposals.”

Whiteside said the institute provided useful sessions on everything from finding funding sources to effective budgeting, and it connected faculty who ultimately helped each other through the proposal writing process. “During the sessions we had the opportunity to share our work with other institute faculty. That kind of collaborative environment was enormously helpful in improving my proposal.” 

Each participant also selected a graduate student to participate. Working with Hoy was CCI doctoral student Ivonne Rameriz; with Potnis was SIS master’s student Michelle Schabowski; and Sport Management doctoral student Elizabeth Taylor worked with Whiteside.

Suzie Allard served as faculty mentor for all 3 CCI faculty participants again this year. The goal of GWI is to help faculty increase their ability to apply for and obtain external funding. Each faculty participant develops a proposal to submit to a targeted grant program as a final requirement for the GWI.