CCI Travels to Washington DC

DSLS in DC

Washington, D.C., was the focus of a CCI alumni reception and two field trips – by the CCI Diversity Student Leaders Society (DSLS) and the Communication Studies Club (CSC) – during February and March. 

The CCI alumni reception was hosted by CCI Board of Visitors Vice Chair and Microsoft Corporation Managing Director of Government Affairs Ed Ingle (BS /JEM  ’83) at the Microsoft Innovation and Policy Center on Thursday, Feb. 28.

“We greatly appreciate the hospitality extended by Ed Ingle and Microsoft,” said CCI Development Director Patrick Powell.  “These types of events are helpful on many fronts.  Students get the opportunity to meet and network with alumni and alumni get the opportunity to meet other alums and hear about what’s going on in the College.” The DSLS trip departed from Knoxville on Feb. 27 and returned Mar. 3.  During the time the students were in D.C. they took a public tour of the White House, attended the CCI alumni reception, had a guided tour of the DC Monuments, and had sessions at C-SPAN, Microsoft, the Wall Street Journal, CNN, and with a recently retired representative from The World Bank.The Communication Studies Club (CSC) field trip was from Mar. 2 to 6.  The group toured the monuments, the U.S. Capitol and the Smithsonian.  They also had sessions at the FBI, Global Event Partners, Microsoft, Toyota, Zelos Strategic Planning & Performance Measurement, the U.S. Supreme Court, the Library of Congress, Congressman Phil Roe, TeamBlue Politics, Inc., Jefferson Consulting, and Freedom House. 

CSC in DC

“The DC field trip  provided me with an extraordinary opportunity to build my network and meet CCI alumni,” said Greg Dowell, graduating senior in communication studies.  “Two DC area alums have become mentors for me.  This field trip expanded my field of vision and will be very helpful to my career.  Coming from a small town of 2,500, I didn’t understood all the opportunities open to me.  I would strongly encourage other CCI students to take advantage of future field trips.”

“Providing students with a variety of experiences and opportunities is critical to their professional development,” said CCI Dean Mike Wirth. “The annual CSC and DSLS field trips, along with other CCI field trips, provide our students with enriching and informative experiences beyond the traditional classroom. These experiences help open their eyes and minds to the external world  in preparation for their professional lives ahead.”