Buchsbaum provides scholarship support for out-of-state students

BuchsbaumKaren Buchsbaum (JEM/’75) and her husband, Frederick, have been great supporters of the College of Communication and Information. An estate gift recently made by the couple will provide additional financial underwriting for their already existing endowed scholarship, the Karen and Frederick Buchsbaum Scholarship. This scholarship is designed to provide support for out-of-state students majoring in journalism or public relations at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.

Buchsbaum wants her gift to encourage and support students who leave their home states for college.  

“I have always felt the college experience is enhanced when you have the opportunity to attend school away from home. Our hope is for the gift to help out-of-state students as well as provide CCI a recruiting tool to attract a more diverse student population,” said Buchsbaum, who works as a public relations consultant in the healthcare industry. “When I was a young professional just starting out, a few people were extremely helpful to me.  I always told myself if I was ever in a position to help students and young professionals I would.  As a result, my husband and I have elected to support our two universities with scholarship funds.”

Originally from Florida, Buchsbaum transferred to UT as a sophomore after the university she was attending in North Carolina dropped her major. She quickly became involved at UT as a staff writer for the Daily Beacon where she eventually became associate editor. She was also an officer with Sigma Delta Chi (now SPJ), on the Dean’s Advisory Council, attended regional and national professional conferences and was a member of Phi Mu Sorority. After graduation, Buchsbaum has continued her involvement with CCI by serving as a member of the college’s Board of Visitors and by serving as a guest lecturer to CCI classes. 

Buchsbaum has many fond memories of life at UT, and wants to help other students have equally valuable experiences.

“My years at UT were wonderful, enriching and a significant part of my life.  I learned many life-lessons, in addition to academics, through activities like conferences, internships and the Beacon.  I particularly enjoyed classes with Dr. Kelly Leiter and the late Sammy Lynn Puett.  Both had a tremendous influence on me and became mentors in my post-college years.  To this day, I frequently approach issues from the perspectives they taught me, and I treasure many very special memories with both, said Buchsbaum.”

“I am very grateful to Karen and Fred Buchsbaum for their continued willingness to invest in the future of the College of Communication and Information,” said CCI Dean Mike Wirth. “The additional support their gift provides through their already existing endowment will help CCI significantly increase the quality and diversity of the out-of-state students we recruit to UT.”    

Buchsbaum feels that supporting her alma mater is important to the future of society, the university, and its students. “Without private support, many of our state and social institutions cannot be competitive or provide necessary services.  Thoughtful gifts can change lives and have a positive impact on society,” said Buchsbaum.

The Buchsbaum’s gift is part of the Campaign for Tennessee, a $1 billion fundraising effort. The College of Communication and Information’s goal for the campaign, which began in 2005 and runs through 2011, is $10 million. The college has raised 77% of its campaign goal to date.

If you would like to learn more about estate planning, or about the Campaign for Tennessee, contact Andrew Shafer in the College of Communication and Information Development Office at ashafer@utk.edu, or 865-974-3211.