CCI Hits New York For a Big Apple Harvest

From January 16-21, CCI students took a bite out of the Big Apple. Braving challenging weather for most of the week, CCI advertising and journalism and electronic media students traipsed all over New York City – as well as a visit to Bristol, Conn.-based ESPN, out of town – to listen, learn and take with them invaluable connections and advice.

Following is a selection of anecdotes from students and faculty providing insights and personal highlights of their trip.

esquire“For me, the highlight of our trip was walking into the Esquire office for a visit and seeing the magazine’s many National Magazine Awards, called “Ellies” sitting on the table inside the front glass doors (left). This tangibility and accessibility was reflected by the personalities of the five editors who met with our students. The editors were honest, upbeat and informative. We couldn’t have asked for more (except if we had been able to meet with Esquire Editor-in-Chief David Granger, a UT alum, who was in Italy). – Dr. Elizabeth Hendrickson, Assistant Professor, JEM

“The trip was such a wonderful opportunity. My favorite part was meeting with the CBS executive producers of 48 Hours and the Evening News, and being able to have a candid conversation about what our field is really about. Thanks to distinguished UT alumni and the contacts provided by faculty adviser Dr. Sam Swan, we were able to meet with network executives all over Manhattan.” – Sissy Bean, JEM major, 2011

“Each January I look forward to the annual UT Advertising Club trip to New York City. I’ve had the honor of joining our students for the past five years. It is a true highlight to watch our students engage with successful alums working and living in the Big Apple. To see students excited about being in the advertising capital of the world is simply contagious! This ends up being a life changing experience for many of our best and brightest.” – Dr. Courtney Childers, Assistant Professor, ADV

“My favorite part of the Journalism and Electronic Media trip to New York City was visiting CNN and talking with Anderson Cooper. The stories he shared about how he got his start in news were fascinating and inspiring. It was also interesting to hear about the different types of interviews he conducts and how he prepares to interview someone. I was surprised that someone so big in TV News would take the time to talk to a group of college students and be so open and honest with us.” – Courtney Lyle, JEM major, 2011

“We visited five advertising agencies – Young & Rubicam, DDB, McCann Erickson, Universal McCann and BBDO –and all were very unique and inspiring. While I was not on the trip for summer internship interviews, I was able to make connections. While on the trip, it was stressed by most every person we spoke with to get involved and active on LinkedIn. Since I have returned to Knoxville, I have made a connection with almost every person we met through LinkedIn. Overall I was impressed and awed by the pace and atmosphere of the advertising world in NYC. I would love to move there.” – Jessica Johnson, ADV major, 2011