Adhami receives AAF’s Most Promising Minority Student Award

CCI’s Sarah Adhami was awarded the 2010 American AAdhamidvertising Federation’s (AAF) Most Promising Minority Student Award at a luncheon in New York City on February 2. Only 50 students nationwide were chosen for this distinction.

AAF’s Most Promising Minority Students Program, started in 1998, is the premier advertising industry award program to recognize and recruit outstanding minority college graduates in the areas of advertising, marketing, media and communications.

Adhami, a senior advertising major and psychology minor from Dubai, is grateful for the opportunities the award has given her. “My experience in New York was intimidating yet one of the best experiences of my life. I had the opportunity to meet some very interesting and important people and to get some great insights about my future career,” said Adhami. “The best part about receiving the award was the feeling that all my hard work was recognized.”

This AAF award program connects the advertising industry with the nation’s top minority college seniors. The program helps the industry recruit fresh talent, it further prepares advertising’s best young prospects for professional careers and it helps the advertising industry’s workforce better reflect today’s multicultural society.

In addition to being honored, student awardees have many opportunities to network with advertising professionals, interview with top companies, and immerse themselves in the industry.  

“I think it’s really important to surround yourself with people who can build you up and make you a better person. The people I met did just that,” said Adhami. “The experience has encouraged me to keep working hard and pushing through the obstacles I face because, in the end, someone always appreciates it.”

3 ladiesAdhami’s nominator, Dr. Courtney Childers (assistant professor, AdvPR), had this to say about her student, “Sarah Adhami has a strong international background that allows her to bring a unique perspective to the advertising world. I am so happy that Sarah was able to experience the Most Promising Minority Students program. As I witnessed first-hand while accompanying her to New York, this program provided Sarah with a great opportunity of which she took full advantage.”

Last year, CCI’s Jaclyn Gonzalez was an AAF Most Promising Minority Student Award winner. Upon graduation, she was hired at General Mills as a result of her experiences with the program. “I cannot thank AAF enough for providing me with such an amazing opportunity. I am also incredibly thankful to my UT advertising professors for encouraging me to pursue programs such as this,” said Gonzalez.