‘Voice’ of the Titans Receives UTK Accomplished Alumni Award

Mike KeithMike Keith (B.A./PLSC ’91), was presented with a University of Tennessee Accomplished Alumni Award on April 14 in recognition of his outstanding career as a sports broadcaster.  As “The Voice of the Tennessee Titans” since 1999, Keith has received several industry awards including: the Edward R. Murrow Award for nationwide excellence in sports reporting, nine Tennessee Sportscaster of the Year Awards and 20 Associated Press state awards.

“Mike Keith is an outstanding professional and a wonderful role model for our students,” said CCI Dean Mike Wirth. “His distinguished broadcasting career is characterized by an unwavering commitment to professionalism in everything he does and to helping others by giving back to his community and the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.”

Wirth presented Keith with UTK’s Accomplished Alumni Award during the annual induction ceremony of the college’s Kappa Tau Alpha (KTA) Honor Society for which he gave the keynote.  Keith also spoke to a JEM sports writing class and the UNITE student organization during his time on campus. 

Keith said, “I had no idea about this honor when I came to Knoxville on April 14, so it was a very special surprise. It’s hard for me to put into words what the University of Tennessee means to me, so to be honored in this way left me virtually (and maybe for the first time ever) speechless! I am one of many who can gladly say that the University of Tennessee has done much more for me than I can ever repay.”

The Accomplished Alumni program is designed to engage University of Tennessee, Knoxville alumni with students, other alumni and the campus community. The program focuses on bringing alumni of note back to UTK to share their successes with others. Kappa Tau Alpha is an honor society that promotes and recognizes scholarship in journalism and mass communications.