Friday, December 2, 2011
Inside CCI – The newsletter for College of Communication and Information faculty, staff, and students. Available online at http://www.cci.utk.edu/insideCCI.
National Communication Association Meeting Papers and Presentations
A total of 12 faculty and graduate students presented papers at the 97th Annual Convention of the National Communication Association in New Orleans, Nov. 17-20. Paper presentations included:
- Doctoral student Michelle Garland and Associate Professor John Haas, “Examining student differences in the oral communication classroom: An exploration of the impact of student sensitivity on learning outcomes,” Top Four Paper in the Communication Apprehension and Competence Division
- Doctoral student Stephanie Kelly and Assistant Professor Mike Kotowski, “Development and validation of a computer-mediated instructional immediacy measure”
- Assistant Professor Catherine Kingsley Westerman, “Giving coal miners voice: Development and evaluation of training on radio use in underground coal mines”
- Associate Professor Ken Levine, “Creating awareness and change via the internet: The impact of leaks and whistle-blowing on public policy”
- Associate Professor Ken Levine and Sally Levine, “Teaching expatriate adaptation while dealing with reality: The impact of a tragedy on the study abroad experience”
- Doctoral student Martijn Van Kelegom, Assistant Professor Mike Kotowski, and Associate Professor Ken Levine, “A methodological review of imagined interaction research”
- Lecturer Suzy Prentiss, “Helping reticent students find their voice: Techniques for reducing anxiety and building confidence”
- Associate Professor Michelle Violanti and Lecturer Jessica Smith, “The voice of achievement: Best practices in senior projects and communication capstones”
- Lecturer Jessica Smith and Associate Professor Michelle Violanti, “Re-examining media richness: The use of communication technologies to maintain long-distance friendships”
- Doctoral student Martijn Van Kelegom, Leslie Deatrick, Matthew Gabriel, Josh Hayes, and Daniel Martin, “An examination of the communication behaviors related to Fisher’s biological personality types”
Receiving awards at NCA:
- Assistant Professor Laura Miller was awarded the Franklin H. Knower Outstanding Article Award from the Interpersonal Communication Division.
- Associate Professor John Haas, along with Michael Waltman of UNC Chapel Hill, received the Franklyn S. Haiman Award for distinguished scholarship from NCA.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
Dec. 3, Doors open at 8:30 pm, Music starts at 9:30 pm
WUTK – Exam Jam IV at The Ciderhouse, 1213 Western Ave.
Inside CCI is the newsletter for faculty, staff, and students of the College of Communication and Information.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- To view the archives of the cci-facstaff or Join/Leave this list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/cci-facstaff.html